According to a new Vanity Fair report published Wednesday, July 1, the security fallout has left the Duke of Sussex “devastated.”
Sources told the outlet that Harry, 41, is “close to tears” over the security arrangements for his upcoming U.K. trip, one he had hoped to take with his wife, Meghan Markle, and their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.
MEGA
The source added that the back-and-forth over the security arrangements has left Harry “stressed and very disappointed.”
Despite what the outlet called a “fiasco” over the arrangements, Harry “is still intending to bring his family to the U.K. next week.”
As National Examiner previously reported, Harry’s concerns for his family’s safety have intensified to a point of ‘obsession.’
Next week’s trip brings Harry back to Britain to mark the one-year countdown to the 2027 Invictus Games in Birmingham. He confirmed the trip on June 26.
But just hours later, he “performed an extraordinary U-turn” upon learning that the Royal and VIP Executive Committee, or RAVEC, would not approve round-the-clock police protection for the Sussexes during their visit, per Vanity Fair.
MAAA/ZDS/Wheatley/WENN
Under the proposal, taxpayer-funded security would cover the family only while they were staying at a royal residence.
The couple’s security troubles started in January 2020, the moment they stepped back from royal duties and settled in California, losing their taxpayer-funded U.K. protection in the process.
Harry later fought the ruling in court, only to lose his appeal in May 2025.
His security is now determined on a case-by-case basis. He spoke out after the legal loss, saying he was “devastated” by the outcome, according to an ABC News report published on May 2, 2025.
MEGA
The trip is scheduled to begin Tuesday, July 7. In an official statement from Harry’s spokesperson, published June 29 by Town & Country, the spokesperson confirmed the family’s upcoming visit and said, “The Duke continues to explore every available option to enable the visit to proceed safely and to give his children the opportunity to enjoy the UK.”