Tragedy

Queen Elizabeth’s Former Rider Sophie Fouracre Dies at 34 After Tragic Equestrian Accident

Amy Hogan

Published

on

sophiefouracre/Instagram

A rider who once competed on horses belonging to Queen Elizabeth is being remembered by friends and colleagues after her sudden death last month was detailed at a coroner’s hearing.

Sophie Fouracre, 34, died after falling from her horse, Rhubarbsfox Britannia, while competing at Swalcliffe Park Equestrian in Oxfordshire, England, on Saturday, July 18, according to People, which reviewed court documents and published its report Tuesday, August 11.

MEGA

A statement presented at a hearing at Oxford Coroner’s Court on Thursday, Aug. 6, said Fouracre, who lived in Basingstoke, about 50 miles southwest of London, sustained “significant injuries” in the fall, per the report. Her cause of death was later confirmed as “massive trauma” following a post-mortem.

sophiefouracre/Instagram

Fouracre competed in the prestigious Burghley Horse Trials during her career and rode for Queen Elizabeth, taking part in events with four of the late queen‘s horses, per the report. She also once rode a horse sired by Speedway, owned by King Charles, calling the experience “such an honor,” the outlet reported. The hearing into her death is scheduled to resume on November 23.

Tragically, the equestrian community suffered another devastating loss that same day: Kerry Donoghue, 42, died following a cross country accident while riding Carneyhaugh Rua at an event roughly 225 miles north of Oxfordshire, according to The Chronicle of the Horse. Emergency crews at both locations rushed to help, but the injuries proved fatal for both women. Vets checked over Rhubarbsfox Britannia and Carneyhaugh Rua afterward and confirmed neither horse was hurt. Both events were called off for the remainder of the day.

sophiefouracre/Instagram

“The EHOA Board send their deepest condolences to Kerry and Sophie’s families, friends and loved ones at this devastating time,” the organization said, People reported. “Our thoughts are also with their fellow competitors, organizers, owners, officials, volunteers and everyone who has been affected by these tragic events.”

Rosie Williams, chief executive of British Eventing, said in the same statement that the “British Eventing community is heartbroken,” adding, “The loss of two members of our eventing family on the same day is almost beyond words, and we know the sadness of these events will be felt profoundly across the sport for some time to come.”

Trending News

Royals2 days ago

Why Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Return to the U.K. After 6 Years ‘Is an Admission of Failure’

Royals2 days ago

Princess Kate Pushes Prince William to Make Peace With Prince Harry Amid ‘Rival Royal Court’ Fears

Royals5 days ago

Princess Eugenie Pays Tribute to Late Queen Elizabeth With Baby Daughter’s Name

Exclusive5 days ago

Princess Anne’s Plan to Reconcile Princes William and Harry: ‘This Nonsense Has Gone on Far Too Long’

Royals2 days ago

Prince Harry’s U.K. Move Driven by Finances: ‘Money and Inheritance Are Part of the Calculation’

Exclusive1 day ago

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie May Pay Sarah Ferguson to Cancel Tell-All Plans: ‘The Only Option’

Movies1 day ago

‘Fatal Attraction’ Director Spills Spicy Secret About Michael Douglas and Glenn Close’s Love Scene

Royals5 days ago

Prince Harry ‘Wants More of a Foothold’ in U.K. After Mending Relationship With King Charles