Meghan Markle took the stage alone in Geneva over the weekend — and sources say that was entirely by design.
The Duchess of Sussex, 44, appeared without Prince Harry on Sunday, May 17, when she unveiled the Lost Screen Memorial at Place des Nations, on the eve of the 79th World Health Assembly. Meghan stood alongside WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and spoke passionately about protecting children from online harm.
But according to Rob Shuter‘s Naughty But Nice Substack, many close to the couple describe the address as the most significant speech of her post-royal career — and Harry’s absence was no scheduling conflict.
MEGA
“This was Meghan’s moment,” an insider told Naughty But Nice. “She knew the second Harry walked into the room, the conversation would shift away from her.”
Per the report, Meghan worked closely with advisers, speechwriters, and stylists in the lead-up to the appearance, understanding the weight of what the event could mean for her public identity. As Examiner previously reported, the couple has clashed over brand strategy in the past, with Harry, 41, sometimes struggling to see eye to eye with his wife’s ambitious approach to public life.
Sources told Shuter that Meghan saw Geneva as a rare chance to establish herself as an independent global figure — separate from both the monarchy and her husband.
Humphreys/Lawson/WPA POOL/ MEGA
“Meghan simply wanted this stage to herself. People can stop pretending this was about childcare,” a source told the outlet. “They could easily have found help.”
Another insider echoed that sentiment, explaining to Naughty But Nice that joint appearances tend to derail the narrative. “Whenever Harry appears beside her, everything becomes about royal drama and family feuds,” the source said. “Meghan wanted the spotlight on her work, not the chaos surrounding the royal family.”
Still, insiders told Shuter that the Duke of Sussex fully supported the strategy. “This was Meghan’s stage,” the source said. “And she wanted to own it completely.”